The Government of Alberta Community Facility Enhancement Program (CFEP) funding provides financial assistance to acquire, build, purchase, repair, renovate, upgrade, or expand sports, recreational, cultural, or other related public-use community facilities. CFEP outcomes are to:
- Enhance the lifespan and support the creation of public-use community facilities
- Stimulate economic activity across the province
In 2022, the Lake Chaparral Residents Association submitted an application under the large funding stream requesting $197, 484 in funding (to be matched by the LCRA utilizing the LCRA Reserve Fund) to assist in making the park more accessible and inclusive to the community. The scope of the project includes the following items:
- Replacement/renovation of all existing washrooms in the lakehouse to be wheelchair-accessible and gender-neutral (single-use washrooms).
- Replacement of the existing firepit as the primary heating source, including installation of a “Warming Hut” to be placed beside the Top Pad.
- This Warming Hut will allow for a heat source that is wheelchair-accessible and does not require going onto the ice to access.
- Inclusion of accessibility features in the park, including wheelchair ramp(s), dock accessibility upgrades, and wheelchair-access buttons/motion sensors.
The application was approved and the LCRA received the funding requested. This project work is scheduled to begin in mid-September 2023.
If there are any questions, comments, or concerns with the project, please contact the LCRA Office at 403.254.4148 or by emailing [email protected].
Resources & Links
Government of Alberta Community Facility Enhancement Program: https://www.alberta.ca/community-facility-enhancement-program
Government of Alberta Minister of Arts, Culture and Status of Women: https://www.alberta.ca/minister-of-arts-culture-and-status-of-women